If you have come this far, it is because you are asking yourself this question: My garage roller door does not work well or is it damaged? What can I do? , keep reading if you want to find a simple solution. We recommend that the repairs be carried out by a qualified professional, but some of the faults are simply fixable, as long as we do not compromise our integrity when repairing.
With this article, we want you to be able to easily identify the fault of the door. We leave you some tips to correct the most common breakdowns and how to perform a garage roller door repair; you can also see the problem to solve it in the simplest and most effective way.
We leave you two sections for typical breakdowns:
- Garage door in the general or common breakdown of all garage roller doors.
- Faults by type of door in which we delve a little more into the faults of each type of door.
Some of the breakdowns that occur are usually common in all types of doors, especially breakdowns related to motors or safety systems,
Common malfunctions in garage doors
Some of the most common breakdowns of garage roller doors and are easily detectable; we leave you a list with some of them that are easily detectable.
The garage roller door won’t close.
- Security systems: check that the security systems are working correctly, security photocell, security band, etc.
- Button: it may be in bad condition causing the breakdown; disconnect the electronic board’s cables to check if removing them works. If it starts to work well, we must look for the fault; the button may be wrong or the external keychain if it is installed.
- Note that there does not impede the door to close properly.
Strange noises from the garage door
• Check that the door does not rub when moving; in case of rubbing on any of the components, if it is okay and rubbing is natural, add grease to lubricate and reduce friction. Otherwise, remove or repair the area affected by rubbing.
Make a damaging diagnosis.
If damage or defects occur on the garage roller door, these can often be localised in the mechanical area by visual inspection. Typical cases that require repair are:
- The lock mechanism no longer works.
- The garage roller door can no longer be closed completely.
- Feathers are hanging or broken.
- Roll mechanism stuck or blocked
- Attachment points are broken or rusted.
- The door is bent by the vehicle or by blunt force.
- Since, apart from an electric drive unit, all garage door components are freely accessible and clearly visible, the causes of the dysfunction can be searched for. All moving parts should be checked individually for their function. If movement is blocked, individual screws or fastenings must be loosened.
How to repair a garage roller door?
If the garage roller door is not completely blocked, the door should be moved by hand in accordance with its intended function. Unhooking springs or dismantling the connection to an electric drive can help. Bent parts should always be removed before corrective surgery. Metal brackets, rods and hinges can often be bent back into their original shape when they are warmed up. Already when the garage door squeak starts, a complete review should be done of all components.
1. Lock mechanism
Remove the lock cylinder and check that all locking rods and locking bolts can move freely. Test the function of the locking cylinder separately and replace it if necessary.
2. Gate closure
Measure the position and shape of the garage door with the spirit level. Place a straight test bar diagonally from one corner of the garage door to the opposite corner. This is how you can recognise a twisting of the entire door or the frame. A twist can be “pulled out” with support struts screwed on at a later date.
3. Replace springs
You can treat rusted or hardened springs with rust removal spray. If that is not enough, you will need to replace the springs.
4. Replace the rollers
If the running and guide rails and the rollers are clean, there may be damage to the roller bearings, for example. The roles must then be exchanged.
5. Replace the fastenings
Frayed, rusted through, or broken connections can be re-welded. In the case of metal gates, except aluminium, sheet steel with a new hole can be welded flat onto the damaged area.
The best way to prevent a breakdown for any type of door
The best possible way to have the door correctly and that in the future the door can give the service without problems is to do good basic maintenance and the most complicated breakdowns to delegate their repair to experts in the field.
One of the best options is to hire a garage roller door repair service for doors included in which we can be sure that we will have the door perfectly at all times and breakdowns will be better detected.